Early Closure Alert!
The Aquarium will close two hours early on Wednesday, December 24. Last entry at 3pm; exhibits close at 4pm. The Aquarium will be closed on December 25.
Saltwater System Specifics:
- The saltwater we sell is the same water that we use for our collection, pulled directly from Elliott Bay.
- Salinity is ~28 ppm (parts per million). The salinity of open-ocean water is ~32 ppm.
- Water temperature is ambient and ranges seasonally between 42 and 58 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Particulates are filtered through high-rate sand filters.
- Ultraviolet sterilization is used to kill bacteria and other organisms. While the water has been irradiated with UV, we cannot warrant it to be sterile.
- A ¾” garden hose delivers up to 15 GPM (gallons per minute) and a 1-1/4” hose delivers up to 60 GPM.
- A key card is used to activate/deactivate the system: simply place the card in front of a card reader located at the site.
- For assistance, call (206) 386-4359.
- Set up an account at the administrative offices upstairs in Pier 59, M–F, 8am-4:30pm. Total cost to set up an account is $35.
- Additional key cards are $10.
- Saltwater is $.07 per gallon, with a minimum $25 per year.
- Invoices are sent monthly and show transaction dates, times and volumes.
- The loading dock is busy. While the system is open 24 hours a day, we encourage use between the hours of 4pm and 7am.
- You may have to wait if vehicles are temporarily blocking the loading dock.
- Prevent trip hazards: please don’t stretch hoses across the sidewalk.
- Store hoses neatly.