We got this Seattle! Our communities have rallied together and done an incredible job flattening the curve as we work together to beat COVID-19. You may not be able to visit us at the Aquarium, but we are excited to bring the Aquarium to you at home!
Did you have a chance to tune in for Puget Sound Fish Week or catch some of our Sea Otter Week? If you missed them, make sure to check out some of the learning opportunities we posted on our blog, and take a moment to watch the live diver experience we did on Facebook with some members of our Aquarium team.
This week, April 13-17, we’re excited to feature another of our amazing marine mammal species: the northern fur seal! The Seattle Aquarium is one of few aquariums across the country that has northern fur seals in our care, and we’re excited for you to learn all about this incredible species with us this week.
As a reminder, we’ve already posted some online resources for you to do and explore on your own. Check out our animal fact sheets, infographic library and at-home activities for kids, or check in on our animals in real time with our live webcams.
PUT YOUR FLIPPERS TOGETHER FOR OUR NORTHERN FUR SEALS!
Did you know there are currently just 10 northern fur seals in zoos and aquariums in the United States—and two of them live right at the Seattle Aquarium? We’re excited for you to say hello to "the boys," Leu and Flaherty, online this week!
Below is a schedule of events that you can tune in for throughout the week, plus activities for kids of all ages. Join us for a week of online learning and fun!
Monday, April 13:
- Visit our blog to learn about Leu and Flaherty, the Seattle Aquarium’s resident northern fur seals. Take a moment to read about this charismatic species, listed as vulnerable in the wild, or tune into our YouTube channel to check out some really charming videos.
- 10am: Tune in for virtual story time as a member of the Aquarium’s visitor engagement team dives into The Boy and the Whale by Mordicai Gerstein.
Tuesday, April 14:
- 10am: Join our team for a live diver experience on our Facebook page where YOU can ask questions as a diver interacts with a variety of fish in our Window on Washington Waters exhibit. There won’t be any fur seals in the exhibit—but tune in to ask questions about what they eat, where they live or why they’re so irresistibly cute!
- Download some of our kids’ activities like coloring sheets, match games and more.
Wednesday, April 15:
- Check out our blog to learn about efforts to conserve northern fur seals in the wild with Seattle Aquarium Associate Curator of Birds & Mammals Julie Carpenter and Jeremy Sterling from NOAA Fisheries/Alaska Fisheries Science Center.
Thursday, April 16:
- Northern fur seals are listed as vulnerable in the wild—and there are just 10 of them in zoos and aquariums in the United States. Members of the Association of Zoos & Aquariums (AZA) are collaborating to manage and increase the population under human care. Visit our blog to learn more.
Friday, April 17:
- Test your knowledge from the week by completing fur seal trivia and tune in to a video of Aquarium staff describing the differences between fur seals and harbor seals.
ENJOY SOME FUR SEAL ACTIVITIES!
- Check out our northern fur seal fact sheet and watch some educational (and fun) videos about fur seals on our YouTube channel.
- Browse through our infographic library and learn about the three species of marine mammals we care for at the Seattle Aquarium.
- Do some math and learn about fur seal tagging and then do a maze that teaches how warming oceans can impact the prey available for fur seals.
- Learn about the characteristics of marine mammals and then test your knowledge to see if you can identify them.
- Take a virtual field trip or tackle one of our age-appropriate lesson plans.
- Need a break? Download our fur seal coloring sheets: coloring sheet 1 coloring sheet 2!