What better way to celebrate Memorial Day Weekend—what many consider to be the unofficial beginning of summer—than with a week devoted to the amazing animals that make their homes on local shorelines? Join us online May 25–29 to learn about the intertidal zone and its inhabitants, how to visit the beach without harming the habitat or its residents, and more.
Below is a schedule of events that you can tune in for throughout the week, plus activities for kids of all ages. We’ll also be featuring videos, fun facts, trivia and other great content on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Join us for a week of online learning and fun!
Monday, May 25:
- Check out our YouTube playlist and get to know some of fascinating creatures that live in tide pools (and the Aquarium’s Life on the Edge exhibit).
- 10am: Tune in for virtual story time as author Brenda Peterson reads Catastrophe by the Sea, developed in collaboration with the Seattle Aquarium and featuring a charming cast of tide pool animals, as well as a very gregarious cat!
Tuesday, May 26:
- 10am: Head to our Facebook page for a live tour through our Life on the Edge exhibit. You’ll get an up-close look at an amazing array of tide pool animals, learn cool facts about them and discover how to protect their habitats in the wild—plus, you can ask questions that can be answered live.
Wednesday, May 27:
- Surprise! We’re taking a brief breather from Tide Pool Week to celebrate World Otter Day! Check out our blog to learn about the ecological importance of these otterly adorable animals, what sea otter researchers do, and more. Adding to your daily dose of cute, we’ll also be featuring otters on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter—don’t miss it!
Thursday, May 28:
- Expand your repertoire of tide pool animal facts with our library of fact sheets.
- Luckily for us, we can still enjoy our local shorelines while practicing social distancing—and we can protect the habitat and the animals that depend on it at the same time. Visit our blog for details and a video that will show you show to have fun at the beach without harming it.
Friday, May 29:
- Round out the week with more fun facts and tide pool animal trivia on our blog.
- Celebrate Friday Eve with tide pool animal wallpaper—get yours here!
ENJOY OUR TIDE POOL WEEK ACTIVITIES
Here’s a sampling of activities you can enjoy on your own—check our website for more!
- Learn all about sea urchins, then grab your art supplies to make one out of clay with our activity sheet. Double the fun with our crabs activity sheet!
- Check out our YouTube channel for an amazing assortment of videos.
- Break out the markers, crayons or colored pencils and get creative with our barnacle, clam and Dungeness crab coloring sheets—plus many more on our website.
- Find the hidden litter in the tide pool with our activity sheet.
- Visit a virtual tide pool and see if you can spot the differences in the pictures.
PS: Looking for more? Explore our animal fact sheets and infographic library, or check in on our animals in real time with our live webcams.