You can still enjoy a virtual trip to the tropics, even while staying home. Grab your virtual sunscreen because this week, May 11–15, we’ll be spotlighting some of the amazing animals that make their homes in the warmer waters of the Pacific!
Below is a schedule of events that you can tune in for throughout the week, plus activities for kids of all ages. We’ll also be featuring fun facts and other fascinating content on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Join us for a week of online learning and fun!
Monday, May 11:
- Check out our online video archive and get to know some of the incredible tropical fish in our care at the Seattle Aquarium.
- 10am: Tune in for virtual story time as one of our staff members reads Wish for a Fish: All About Sea Creatures by Bonnie Worth.
Tuesday, May 12:
- 10am: Head to our Facebook page for a live diver experience from our Tropical Pacific exhibit—learn cool facts and ask questions that can be answered live as a diver interacts with the fascinating animals inside!
Wednesday, May 13:
- Virtually tag along as our team travels to Hawaii to conduct our 12th year of research off the coast of the Big Island. Our blog will have all the details about the team’s most recent trip—you’ll learn about the challenges of conducting research in unpredictable waters, what we’re looking for and the methods we’re using to get the data we need. Bonus: amazing photos!
Thursday, May 14:
- We’re super excited to have a special treat to share with you: a musical performance from Honu by the Sea. (Fast fact: “Honu” is the Hawai’ian word for sea turtle.)
Friday, May 15:
- Learn some more fascinating facts about tropical fish, then test your knowledge with trivia on our blog.
ENJOY OUR TROPICAL WATERS WEEK ACTIVITIES
Here’s a sampling of activities that you can do on your own—check our website for more!
- Grab your crayons, colored pencils or markers and get creative with our clownfish and pufferfish coloring sheets.
- Is it or isn’t it a tropical fish? Learn more on our activity sheet, then test your knowledge!
- Learn all about blacktip reef sharks with our diagram.
- Play our coral game! All you need is one die and something to use as a marker.
- Fast fact: corals aren’t plants—they’re animals! Learn more with our diagram and coral bleaching infographic.
- Check out our YouTube channel for an amazing assortment of videos.