We are all doing our part to help fight the spread of COVID-19 by practicing social distancing. The Aquarium may be closed, but our dedicated staff are working hard to bring the Aquarium to you!
Each week we will be bringing you online content about some of your favorite animals, conservation actions and at-home activities so you can continue to engage and learn about ocean health. Stay tuned to learn about the sea and shore birds of the Salish Sea, our local beach creatures, Earth Day activism, the amazing octopus and more! We have already posted some online resources that you can do on your own. Check out our website SeattleAquarium.org for animal fact sheets, our infographic library, at-home activities for kids, or check-in on our animals in real time with our live webcams.
Who could have foreseen celebrating the 50th anniversary of Earth Day in the grips of a pandemic? Despite all this, Aquarium staff wish you hope and inspiration. Take what actions you can now and save up ideas for the future.
Below is a schedule of some of the highlights for the week. Be sure to visit SeattleAquarium.org/experience-aquarium-anywhere each week for an updated schedule.
MORE EARTH ACTION
- Join Aquarium staff for virtual story time on Facebook and Twitter at 10am on Monday with one of our favorite books, The Pout-Pout Fish Cleans Up the Ocean by Deborah Diesen.
- Tune in for a Facebook Live diver experience! A diver wearing a specialized mask will talk back and forth with an Aquarium interpreter on the dry side of the Window on Washington Waters exhibit. Join us at 10am on Tuesday for this fun experience and you’ll even have a chance to ask questions!
- Wednesday at 10am, we’ll interview one of the Aquarium’s Youth Ocean Advocates about conservation. Learn what this high schooler holds important for Earth Action and the future of our one blue planet.
- Also on Wednesday, put all that pent-up creativity to use and practice your mastery of haiku - and microplastics! Post your creations on Twitter, #MicropoemsOnMicroplastics #EarthActionWeek.
- Get ready to explore Microplastics 101 on Thursday, with the Seattle Aquarium’s high-energy Director of Conservation Programs and Partnerships, Erin Meyer. What are microplastics, where are they, and why should we care?
- To round out Earth Action Week, we invite you to join the Seattle Aquarium’s Executive Chef Molly DeMers on Friday for a session on cooking with sustainable seafood. Discover some of Molly’s secrets for getting the best value, and flavor from your favorite fish.
- We have compiled a list of activities you can do on your own on our website, including kids’ activities like coloring sheets, match games, and more.
- Remember to engage with us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for tips and stories of Conservation Actions.
- Check out our blog to learn about Earth Action Week, and our partners.