Youth Interpreters inspire conservation by educating our visitors about our animals and marine environment. The Seattle Aquarium offers two sessions per year, school year and summer, and volunteers commit to serve a minimum of approximately 100 hours during one of them.
Youth Interpreters receive an initial training on marine science topics, conservation and communication skills. Following training, interpreters are deployed throughout the Aquarium to provide amazing learning experiences for our guests.
You might be a good fit for the Youth Interpreter position if you’re passionate about the marine environment, enjoy learning about marine science and enjoy sharing knowledge with others. Youth Interpreter requirements:
- Youth must be a current sophomore, junior or senior in high school to apply.
- Commit to at least 100 hours of service to the Aquarium during a session.
- School-year session runs November through June.
- Work a minimum of three five-hour shifts per month each month.
- Summer session runs June through September
- Volunteer a minimum of two five-hour shifts per week each week (limited vacation permitted).
- Participate in all trainings.
We have a limited number of positions to fill each school year and summer. Acceptance to the program is based upon application and interview performance. To apply:
- Applicants must attend one of our orientation dates. At orientation, you’ll receive an application, which must be filled out and returned to the Aquarium.
- From the applicant pool, we’ll select individuals to come an interview for Youth Interpreter positions.
- Youth Interpreter positions are filled based upon interview performance and application score.
Our orientations for the upcoming school year session take place on:
- Tuesday, September 30 from 6pm to 7pm at the Seattle Aquarium
- Sunday, October 5 from 3pm to 4pm at the Seattle Aquarium
If selected for the volunteer program, you must attend all of the training dates in one of the cohorts. Training dates will be announced in soon!
To reserve your place at orientation, or if you have specific questions about the program, please email email@example.com.