Sustainability is one of the core institutional values of the Seattle Aquarium. We currently have a lower Energy Use Index than many of our peer institutions in the United States, making us one of the most efficient aquariums in the country.
A Commitment To Alternative Energy
- We’ve invested in alternative energy like solar and purchasing carbon offsets that cover both unavoidable building utility uses and also operational inputs.
- In addition to solar panels, we've installed more efficient fans and LED lighting to decrease our electricity usage.
We work to adopt and promote practices that protect and restore ocean health which extends into the planning for the new Ocean Pavilion. The new Pavilion is targeting LEED Gold certification.
Serving Sustainable Seafood
- The Aquarium has partnered with Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Seafood Watch program since 2006, and our café serves only seafood from its “Best Choices” list.
- We are founding members of and have “leader” status with the James Beard Foundation’s Smart Catch program, created with and for chefs to recognize restaurants working toward ensuring an abundant supply of seafood for generations. We recently received a grade of 100% for our seafood purchases!
Other Green Business Practices
- We provide our staff and volunteers with public transit passes to reduce the energy we use for transportation.
- Committed to reducing overall waste and diverting from landfills to compost and recycling streams.
- By 2021, our gift shop aims to be 100% single-use-plastic free.