Make your voice heard! Actions are being considered at the local, state and national level that affect marine animals in the wild and their habitats—as well as the future Seattle Aquarium. Help further our mission of Inspiring Conservation of Our Marine Environment by becoming an advocate for our one world ocean and the animals that live there, and the Seattle Aquarium itself.
Actions in the state legislature
In 2021, we worked with partners to support and pass new policies in Washington state that will reduce ocean plastic pollution, mitigate climate change and protect nearshore marine ecosystems. Successes include:
- Reducing plastic pollution: Expanded polystyrene ban; minimum recycled content in plastic bottles, trash bags and household cleaning products; and making single-use utensils, lids for cold beverages, straws, and condiment packets available only upon a customer’s request.
- Seabed mining ban: Protects fragile marine ecosystems by prohibiting seabed mining of hard minerals—like gold, titanium and more—in Washington waters.
- Orca recovery: Funding for Quiet Sound, a new program that will reduce ship noise and disturbance affecting the endangered orcas. Learn more about the Puget Sound's resident orca pod with our interactive orca family tree.
- Clean Fuel Standard: Reduces pollution from the fuels that power transportation systems.
Visit our blog to read more about successes in the 2021 Washington state legislative session as well as the 2020 and 2019 legislative sessions.
We continue working year-round on federal policies to protect our ocean. Subscribe to receive our policy updates and action alerts!
Join the movement against single-use plastics!
Plastic pollution is impacting the health of our ocean, rivers and lakes—and the aquatic animals we love— at an increasing rate. But our everyday decisions have the power to change this.
- Learn how the Aquarium has eliminated single-use plastic.
- Join us in making a commitment to reduce single-use plastics.
Join us in speaking up on ocean policy
Incredibly important decisions that impact ocean health are being made by our elected leaders at the federal, state and local levels. The Aquarium is lending its voice to ensure stronger protections for our local waters, marine species and the greater ocean.
Visit our policy and advocacy page to learn about the issues that the Aquarium is working on. Subscribe to our policy & advocacy email list to receive occasional action alerts on ocean-related policy issues, from climate change and environmental justice to orca recovery and plastic pollution.
Save Animals from Extinction (SAFE)
As an accredited member of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA), the Seattle Aquarium is proud to participate in Save Animals from Extinction (SAFE), a new commitment by the AZA's 229 accredited zoos and aquariums to harness our collective resources and work to save specific endangered species from extinction by restoring healthy populations in the wild. People like you, who visit the Seattle Aquarium and/or other AZA-accredited institutions, are an important element of this critical effort!